Tuesday 1 March 2011

Better Words

There are better words around, somewhere - I know there are - more imaginative vessels which bear meaning below their decks in a manner which is both thrillingly ingenious and pleasingly succinct.

But they are not so easy to find...

There are plenty of new ones, sure, but the majority are quite unexceptional. They are all over the place, eager for exposure and the chance to be assessed.

Sometimes I look, I rummage about in the back of my brain and find a few original words and phrases scattered around, but they are largely of little use and are swiftly redundatised. They are malapplicable and hypervoluted and I cannot envisage a context in which I might come to incorporate them readily into my everyday discourse.

Yet I will continue, I will forage for fresh expressions, for, somewhere in this mess of newly minted words, a little gem will be lying, hiding away in a quiet cramped corner, waiting to be prised out and carried across into the cool light of conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment